Mar 28, 2007

Carmel Ranch


9x12
Oil/linen panel
Plein air

Painted at an old ranch off Carmel Valley Road, east of the I-5. This location holds many more paintings, especially the barn and stable. A lot of discarded farm machinery and other curiosities will hopefully bring me back to this site. Tried to simplify and abstract the area on the left, which was a pile of farm equipment and part of a tractor. I found out after I left the owner trotted by on his horse and told a few other painters that we were trespassing. Hopefully I can convince him we're a group of harmless artists who will respect his property. I guess a few kids got hurt on his property (they were trespassing) and actually took him to court over their injuries. One can understand his concern.

3 comments:

Suzy said...

I love that painting. You have to to convince the owner to let you come back to paint. Maybe a simple "hold harmless" piece of paper that you sign and give him. You and your friends are artists for heavens sakes not kids playing around.

Michael said...

Hi Danny,
I like the painting, but I love the title--not what you expect of Carmel.
I host a plein air workhop on Paros, Greece in May. If you are interested, there is a link on my blog.

Cheers,

Danny Griego said...

Thanks Paros. Your work looks interesting and Greece would be awesome for a paint trip. Unfortunately not this year, but good luck with your workshops. The location for this painting is in San Diego. I get the feeling you believe it to be in Carmel-By-The-Sea? I guess the title could be misleading. There is an area here in San Diego called Carmel Valley, which is where this ranch is.