Mar 17, 2013

Junipero Serra Museum


8x10
Oil/masonite panel
Plein air

This painting was done at Presidio Park, in San Diego, CA.  This building is the Junipera Serra Museum and is in the Spanish Revival architecture.  It is meant to resemble the early missions that once dominated the landscape of Southern California.  Once a month the San Diego Chapter of the California Art Club meets to paint a certain site.  I finally made it to one of these paint outs.  It was great to see some faces I haven't seen for quite a while, and I look forward to getting more involved with the club.  The club was founded in 1909 with the idea of promoting and supporting contemporary and traditional fine art.   The range of talent in this club is HUGE.  It's an honor to be in this organization.   This particular morning was pretty foggy and cloudy, which are conditions I love to paint in.  Thankfully I completed about 90 percent of the painting before the sun came out and drastically changed everything.  I always forget how beautiful this park is and maybe more trips are in store since it's so close to where I live.

No comments: