Oct 18, 2014

Hillcrest Mustang
8x10 - Oil

Here's one I'm pretty excited about.  I started experimenting with the gamut mask method from the teachings of James Gurney.  In this one I made red my dominant color and used greyed out blue and grey out green as the subordinate colors.  This limited palette helped me to keep the painting unified and furthermore helped to set a mood to the painting that I really like.  Though painted on site, the colors I chose were limited (only three) so I couldn't match exactly all the colors before me, I only got as close as I could.  Doing more with less in my opinion.  It was a huge departure from the warm/cool primary palette I normally use.  The car owner was super nice, he plugged the meter and didn't move his car so that I could finish the painting. 

No comments: